SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Stefano Canepa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefano Canepa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:11:10 +0200
Hi all,
	I'm new t Scientific Linux but not to Linux, I'm trying SL because I'm
looking for a RHEL 6 free distribution and at CentOS they are still
working.

I tried to install using SL-60-i386-2011-03-03-Everything-DVD1.iso
into a VirtualBox virtual machine. I verified the ISO using sha256sum
and also inside installer but it stops installing MAKEDEV claiming it is
corrupted on DVD. I tried to download the same image using a different
mirror (switch.ch) instead the main FTP site, and even a different PC
but the same happened.

I successfully installed using the Install DVD.

I mounted the two ISO in loopback and check the content MAKEDEV rpm is
present in the Everything DVD and not in the Install. I even don't
understand why MAKEDEV is needed as SL use udev to populate /dev, so
perhaps to disable the installation in Everything DVD would be the
correct solution.

Is this a known bug?

I can do some more test if needed.

Bye