SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Charles E Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles E Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:45:43 -0400
Brett Viren wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> I don't know what is wrong but a couple small directions to try:
>
> Does "iptables -L" confirm that the firewall rules have been flushed
> out?
>
> Can you rule out any potential connection to your socket code by
> reproducing the problem with netcat/nc?
>
> On the server:
>
>    nc -l -p PORT HOST
>
> On the client:
>
>    echo "Hello World" | nc PORT HOST
>
> If it works, you should see the message printed by the server and not
> get any error.  If this also fails, say any error messages and it may
> help others reproduce the problem themselves.

Hello!

I won't be able to test until about eight hours from now, when I'll be
back home.  Here's some notes, though:

* the sockets code is working on my work computer (also SL 6.3).
* the sockets code is 216 lines long; I've placed it on my website:
http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/connection.c  (I was able to download it
with curl)
* I don't remember where it was blocked in the server; in the client
side, it was blocked at the connect() call.

To run it:

   connection s 12345 "whatever string here"
   connection c 12345

I've also tried it with the Simple Sockets Library (port 1750); it, too,
works on my work computer (but was not working on my home computer, both
of which use SL6.3).  Actually, it doesn't work on either of my home
computers (a desktop and a laptop, again, all SL6.3).

For the Simple Sockets Library, see
http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/ssl/index.html.  To test:

   Spm
   spmtable

  (or one may use the sktdbg utility).

Thank you,
Chip Campbell

--
someday I'll have a good signature, I'm sure of it...