SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:21:08 -0400
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Fernando Rannou wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I wanted to access  the scientificlinux home page, but
>> my browser (firefox) displays this error message:
>>
>> www.scientificlinux.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>>
>> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is
>> unknown.
>>
>> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Fernando
>>

> We currently have a self signed certificate.
> We are working on getting a certificate that you have to pay for.
> (ie.. valid)
>
> Troy

In the meantime, there should be a setting to ignore the warning & allow
the current certificate for this site in your browser. IIRC, In Firefox
3 you can click the java-script link in the error message to "add an
exeption", or click the 'lock' icon in the bottom-right status bar &
view/exempt the cert for this site. Also, there are more settings under
Tools->Options->Advanced->Encryption.

There are also options for getting free certs & validating them for
non-profits with limited budgets...
CAcert.org - http://www.cacert.org/
When Is a Self-Signed SSL Certificate Acceptable - Slashdot.org
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/24/2345223
Redhat - Dogtag Certificate System
http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PKI_Main_Page

-HTH Art@JAX