SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:02:46 -0500
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Mani A wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  Parted (1.8.6 for e.g) has no problems. This looks like a bug
>> > with Anaconda. Any workarounds ? (Basically the python script using
>> > the parted library must be avoided )
>>
>> Can you please give more information.  How are the disks partitioned now?
>> What error messages does it give?
>
> I get the error message after selecting the packages, i.e. just before
> the actual install of packages to hard disk in the usual GUI install
> with no options. The IDE disks have dos partition tables (3 primaries
> each + extended and logicals within that, it is all ext3 except for a
> single BSD primary (hdb2)). I formatted the partitions for /
> beforehand with ext3 with latest parted. So during install I just had
> to select the mount point.  The error message is
> "cannot inform the kernel of changes to the /dev/hdb5 without
> rebooting" (first logical of the extended partition of hdb). I could

I assume /dev/hdb5 is the partition you selected for / .  I also assume
that you did not select "format" during the install as you said you
formatted it prior.

> not save the dump to fd0, but the error is due to the old parted
> library used in the installer (?). I have installed other Linux

Do you have a reference that the old parted has issues like this?

> distros (Edubuntu) in the same setup without any problem. Somewhat
> similar problems with Anaconda (up to fc5) are known (
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaCommonBugs).

I went to the above page and do not see anything about this.  Can you give
me a specific url to go to.

-Connie Sieh