SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 02:20:26 +0900
On 12/07/2011 06:01 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> It seems the default PDF reader for EL 6 is evince. In which file(s) is
> this set so that I can select a different default application? If any of
> these files are not plain ASCII text, but require a special application
> to read/write the file, which such application(s)?

This is a desktop/window manager specific setting. If you install KDE
and Gnome you can have each prefer a different application for a
specific MIME type (in this case PDF).

Evince is free, safe, and is the default reader nearly everywhere for
Linux. Adobe Reader/Acrobat have some pretty large security issues
(hopefully well tacked down by SELinux, but hope != security_plan).

PDFs are not ASCII text. PDF is an extension of the PostScript language
that printers speak which describe how a document should look and what
it should do, which includes a description of text to include, but this
is not restricted to ASCII characters by any means. PDF adds to PS in
ways that let a document do a few things dynamically based on
environment (like switch date formats around), include user input fields
(and change based on what is input/selected), accept digital signatures,
etc. Many static PDFs passed about in business are nothing more than
scans of text, which mean they are pictures of a page which contains
text, not the actual text itself. It is quite common to receive
documents in mass business mailings which are just a giant jpeg image
pasted to a standard page-size background which is called a PDF because
the scanner/digital sender formatted it that way -- but its not actually
text and you can't copy/paste it (this is also why a PDF exported from
OpenOffice will be often measured in kilobytes, while a scan of a
printout of the same thing can easily be a few megabytes/page at high
resolution + color).

For Gnome2 you can find settings for nearly everything in gconf editor.
This is usually found under Applications > System Tools > Configuration
Editor if you've installed it, I believe.

I personally prefer Evince for nearly everything and use it as much as
possible. For digital signatures which must conform to Adobe's way of
doing things, however, I open documents in Acrobat Reader -- but I do
not set the default PDF reader to Acrobat Reader. In Gnome you can just
right-click, and select "Open With >" and pick the PDF capable software
you want. I also use Xournal a lot for PDF markup and passing notes
around, so this is another program I access by right-clicking quite
frequently on PDF files -- but my default is still happily set to Evince
(and you'll find it is by far the fastest loading PDF/PS file reader
available right now).