SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:44:55 -0500
CLearing the remnants of a a filesystem can be awkward. In order to
clear previously used partitions for clean OS installation, I used to
use lvm (to get a list of known volumes and devices, activate them
enough to write to, an dthem delete them *all* with extreme
prejudice).

Then i'd use parted to partition, as desired, and then mkfs to set up
partitions. Doing this as a well scripted '%pre' operation can save
enormous complexity in trying to trick the very limited and
underdocumented 'anaconda' tools into doing the wreite things.
Unfortunately, the parted that came with CentOS 5 installation media
was not as powerful as that which came with the operating system, so
some extra chicanery was sometimes required.