SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:26:33 -0500
On 08/22/2011 10:55 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 05:32 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM, carlopmart<[log in to unmask]>   wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Troy and sorry for my delayed response. But I have antoher question.
>>> Will scientificlinux release security fixes updates during EUS of certain
>>> release like 6.0 until upstream it marks as an EOL??
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-1106.html
>>>
>>> This is a security fix released by upstream vendor, but I didn't see if this
>>> package is released for SL6.0
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the SRPMS for EUS are not open to the public, so
>> they cannot be built.
>>
>> Akemi
>
> Uhmm ... Thanks Akemi. But why kernels 2.6.32-131.x are released for
> SL6.0 when these kernels are for SL6.1 release?? Is it safe to install
> kernel 2.6.32-131.x version on a SL6.0 host?? I dont's see it pretty
> clear ...

Hi,
Akemi is correct, the EUS packages are not released to the public
(except by accident occasionally).  The also applied to kernels that are
released for EUS.

The kernels that we get and release for all the SL6 releases (6.0 ...
6.n) are the kernels that we get from RedHat's public ftp site, that
they release for their general RHEL6 release.

These kernels work fine on the SL 6.0 release, and we test these kernels
on a SL 6.0 test machine.  If there are occasions that a related
packages are needed to be upgraded for a kernel upgrade we add or update
the appropriate package.  Thus far we haven't had to do that for SL6,
but we commonly had to do that for SL4.

In summary, SL 6.0 will get the same security update kernel that SL 6.5
gets, when the time comes.  We are able to do that because RedHat has
promised that they will not remove and/or significantly change API's,
libraries, etc.. in their kernel.  That is why it is still a 2.6.32 kernel.
They have kept that promise for RHEL3, RHEL4, and RHEL5.  We expect them
to continue doing it for RHEL6 as well.

To answer your question in short.  Yes, it is safe to install a
2.6.32-131x kernel on a SL 6.0 host.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group