SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:55:05 +0000
On 24/01/13 06:04, jdow wrote:
> On 2013/01/23 20:33, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>>> It's not this channel's support issue. I understand that. This is why
>>> I wondered if 6.2 was going to have a kernel update.
>>>
>>> ElRepo pushed the newer 310 NVidia modules before any appropriate kernel
>>> appeared on SL2. So I have to back off. I simply wondered if waiting for
>>> a new kernel was practical or not.
>>>
>>> And that's been answered. ElRepo messed up pushing updates. (Or else
>>> there should be a more recent kernel for 6.2 than what I am running,
>>> 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64.)

Not true.

>> Let me post once again the link I provided for you earlier in this
>> thread. I'm afraid you missed it.
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-304xx
>>
>> That page has a list of supported GPUs. This is all about the hardware
>> you have and the version of Nvidia's driver that supports it. Which
>> kernel version is _not_ relevant.
>>
>> You may also want to check out this post on the ELRepo's mailing list:
>>
>> http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2013-January/001587.html
>>
>> I quoted an essential part of it in my earlier post as well. I
>> strongly suggest you subscribe to the ELRepo general mailing list. If
>> you still have questions about the Nvidia-related packages offered by
>> ELRepo, please ask on the ELRepo's list.
>
> With all due respect, Akemi, I'd like you to note two details.

With all due respect you are not listening to what people are telling
you. Akemi is right and you are wrong.

> First the message you point to is for version 304. ElRepo pushed 310.
> Before that program load I was up to date with nVidia as well as kernel.
> I'm not sure if I had 304 or earlier. Given the date, that is the version
> I had loaded as of yesterday when 310 replaced it.

Here is the announcement I made back in November that the 310.xx series
nvidia drivers were dropping support for older 6xxx and 7xxx based hardware:

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2012-November/001525.html

We've been planning this migration for 2 months. May I suggest that if
you are going to use elrepo packages then you subscribe to the elrepo
mailing list where you will find out such important information first
hand. It really is very low volume.

> Second I get this message in the dmesg log from a reboot this morning.
> ===8<---
> nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
> NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a GPU installed in this system is
> NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 304.xx Legacy drivers. Please
> NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
> NVRM: information. The 310.32 NVIDIA driver will ignore
> NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
> NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!
> ===8<---
>
> Apparently the kernel or something does NOT supported with 310. So pushing
> the 310 was apparently an error of overoptimism for this system. I'd have
> expected the RPM to take this into account. But this is an ElRepo issue
> not one from here. So I've tried to be brief. I see I had to give up that
> effort.

No, this is the nvidia driver telling you that your hardware is no
longer supported. It even tells you that you need the NVIDIA 304.xx
Legacy drivers.

The elrepo-packaged nvidia driver currently supports all kernels from
SL6.1 through SL6.3.

> That said it appears I have to go back to 304 and turn off elrepo updates,
> which is moderately inconvenient. The Nvidia 7025 is embedded on the
> motherboard that is less than a year old. So I figure SOMETHING screwed
> up if it's no longer supported.

That's correct - you need to stay at the 304.xx driver as this is the
*last* driver that will support your older hardware (7xxx based
chipset). We released the legacy kmod-nvidia-304xx and
nvidia-x11-drv-304xx packages to aid in this (see the thread linked
above) and pushed them out to the main repo *before* we released the
updated 310.xx series drivers.

Please uninstall the kmod-nvidia driver and install the
kmod-nvidia-304xx and then you can continue to receive updates from elrepo.

Nothing screwed up, nvidia simply decided it was time to move on from
supporting aging hardware (~8 years old?) in the current driver release.

Regards,

Phil