SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:45:08 -0500
Hi Ioannis,
There are two different things going on.

The first is probably very familiar to most long term linux users.  And
that is the quick cut and past you can do with a mouse.
On Linux there is often no need to do "highlight with mouse" -> "Ctrl-c"
-> "Click where you want to paste" -> "Ctrl-v".
You can use the mouse shortcut which is "Highlight with mouse" -> "Click
middle mouse button on the spot where you want it pasted"
The wheel on wheel mice acts as the third button.  Clicking both the
left and right button at the same time also acts as the third button.
Once you get used to this functionality, you really find it hard going
back to a windows box that doesn't have it.
*note* There are some applications where this doesn't work.  But it does
work in the majority of applications.

The second feature you are seeing is a feature in firefox.  It has alot
of shortcuts.  One of those shortcuts is a 'goto' feature.  Basically
highlight some works, and middle click.  It will perform a 'goto' search
in google, and take you to that site.
A real time saver.  A real pain.  You choose.
I'm not certain which parameter it is, so I don't know how to turn it off.

Troy

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Scientific Linux 4.4 x86
>

> While I was looking at web page with Firefox 1.5.0.10. I just got to a
> google page saying: Your search - "Goto first unread ocd * 123don't know
> how to get better" - did not match any documents. In the address bar
> there is: "keyword:Goto first unread ocd  * 123don't know how to get
> better".
>

> Wondering how did I get there I thought that I was using the mouse wheel
> which is also a button (two normal buttons and the mouse wheel in the
> middle, also being a button). I repressed this middle mouse-wheel
> button, and got to a site
>
> http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.html
>
> and after repressing it to a site
> http://www.nationalgeographic.com/forcesofnature/
>
> !!!
>

> I checked some sub-sentences of this text, in the page I was viewing but
> came with nothing.
>

> Now I am pressing the middle button in this Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 message
> and I get:
>
> gotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgotgot
>

> Previously I had pressed it in here, and if I recall well I got another
> URL!
>

> In gedit, I pressed the middle button for few times, some minutes before
> and got:
>

> forcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.htmlforcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.htmlforcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.htmlforcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.htmlforcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.htmlforcesofnature/070302_precip_mysteries.html
>

> !!
>

> Now pressing the middle button in gedit gives nothing!
>

> Now pressing the middle button in this Thunderbird plain-text message
> moves the cursor where the mouse pointer is.
>

> What is going on?! Any ideas?

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group