SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:32:22 -0500
Hi,

I've always done linux admin on just servers, so I've never needed
to know about such things as playing MP3 files on linux.

Well, now I've got a user with a fully patched SL4.6 laptop and
is trying to get an MP3 file to play.

Go to a web page with an MP3 sample and click on it.
A dialog box pops up asking whether to save or use the default
application, which is something called Helix.  Choose Helix.
Helix app box pops up but then another box opens and says one
needs to get RealPlayer.  Fine, except I can only find RealPlayer-11
which doesn't install on SL4.6 due to dependencies.

So, my question is (at its simplest) how does one play MP3 files
on an SL4.6 box?  Is there something other than Helix that doesn't
need RealPlayer?  Or, if RealPlayer is indeed needed, where can
I find a version of RealPlayer that works on SL4.6?
Googling, so far, hasn't helped - but then it hasn't been an
exhaustive search.

Thanks!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group