SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:46:53 +0100
I installed 303 on an IBM X-series laptop.

I found to my surprise that it fails to recognise the compact flash
socket, claiming that the kernel module was not found.  On inserting
the flash card in the socket, the messages log shows that it knows
what it wants to load (ide-cs.o), but the module isn't available, so
it reports that the device is "temporarily" (!) not accessible, or
words to that effect.

(This worked on RH9, by the way, and I don't recall having to do
anything to help it along).

Sure enough, the kernel module is missing: the ide-cs.c source is
right there in the kernel source,
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-20.EL/drivers/ide/legacy/ide-cs.c , and the
kernel has evidently been built with options that would result in this
driver being built:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m

but the .o file isn't installed.

Whereas on our RH9 systems:

 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6776 Apr 13 23:12
 /lib/modules/2.4.20-31.9/kernel/drivers/ide/legacy/ide-cs.o

After hunting around for it on SL: apparently the .o file is in the
kernel-unsupported RPM, along with a whole swath of other kernel
modules.

I hadn't recognised anything on the installation-time packages
selection menu which indicated that this might be a useful thing to
install.  Could of course just be my lack of attention...

And it seems that on a different laptop, the IBM R40e, the same reason
explains why the standard sound installation didn't work: it couldn't
find the trident.o driver for it, until I installed the
kernel-unsupported RPM.

I'm just posting this because it might help someone who's missing one
or other of the drivers that are in that kernel-unsupported package,
and are as puzzled as I was, initially, that this or that item wasn't
working on a default install.

best regards