SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:29:10 -0500
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> The distribution servers rsync.scientificlinux.org and
>> ftp.scientificlinux.org will be going down tomorrow for software maintenance.
>> I will also be creating some hard links in the storage area's to save space.
>> These hard links may or may not affect your syncing.  It might even save you
>> space if you are using the H option when rsyncing.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Hard Link Area's
>> 30x/SRPMS <-> 30rolling/SRPMS
>> 4x/SRPMS <-> 40rolling/SRPMS
>> 5x/SRPMS <-> 5rolling/SRPMS
>> SL security errata <-> sites/Fermi security errata
>> example:
>> 52/i386/updates/security/ <-> 52/i386/sites/Fermi/updates/security/
>
> The other day I noticed that currently when a new sl5 (say) errata package
> is released our mirroring ends up fetching it once each for the 50, 51,
> 52, 53 trees and in some cases the same rpm is also present in each of
> i386 and x86_64 bits so we can be fetching the same package 8 times...
>
> We are doing rsync with -H so I'm assuming that the rpms were not
> hardlinked at the server end (is that right or maybe my rsync options are
> breaking things...)
>
> I did some checksums and from what I could tell the packages with
> identical names do have the same contents so I almost spent the time
> hard-linking them together at this end...
>
> I would assume that no-one wants to use more space than they need but
> perhaps hard-linking those file would be more useful in terms of saving
> bandwith on the network for the main sl servers - assuming the
> hard-linking isn't already being done...
>
>   -- Jon

Hi Jon,
Hard linking currently isn't being done with those errata that are the
same, but we are looking at it.
Back when we were staring out it wasn't possible, or at least not easy.
And that's what all the scripts were written for.  We need to go back
and look at the scripts to see how we could change things.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group