SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:41:54 +1000
On 3/07/2013 6:04 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 04:47 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> On 3/07/2013 9:33 AM, Tam Nguyen wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]

>>  >
>>> Download Google rpm here: http://orion.lcg.ufrj.br/RPMS/myrpms/google/
>>> then yum install the download rpm.
>>
>> Sorry - but I think its really bad practice to just refer people to
>> random, unknown repositories for common software...
>>
>> In a nutshell, the version of libstdc++ seems to be rather old that
>> Google are using. SL has:
>>
>> # yum whatprovides libstdc++.so.6
>> libstdc++-4.4.7-3.el6.i686 : GNU Standard C++ Library
>> Repo        : sl6x
>> Matched from:
>> Other       : libstdc++.so.6
>>
>> I'd recommend is using chromium if you don't rely on any Google-only
>> features.
>>
>> There is a thread about this on the SL forums:
>>      http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=1134
>>

> I thoroughly am confused about these responses.  Unless I am mistaken,
> the chrome RPM seems to be from a standard EL6 repository.  Moreover,
> the previous release of chrome through this same method did not produce
> this error, and installed and ran without obvious issues.  However, as
> updates typically both fix bugs and security holes, we routinely update
> to current production.  It is only the most current release of "real"
> chrome (not chromium) that shows this problem -- is there a repository
> with the necessary RPMs for a proper workaround?

Google calls RHEL6 'too old' and 'obsolete' now. See:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/02/11/1452259/rhel-6-no-longer-supported-by-google-chrome

Nothing in EL6 caused this break - purely internal stuff from Google.

> If not, in what ways does chromium (presumably, a port from the current
> production chrome source) differ from chrome?  If the difference merely
> is a lack of google services by default, but no loss of browser security
> or functionality, the chromium may be a superior choice.

To be honest, I stuck with firefox on my EL desktops. Chrome just made
it too hard with this problem plus video issues with flash in the latest
build they support.

I went back to Firefox + flash-plugin and things are back to a working
state. I don't have any real interest to hack Chrome into working these
days - its easier to switch browser than it is to fix the problems.
Sorry Google!

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]