SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:21:23 -0500
Hi,
I saw that nobody followed up to this.
I don't know anything about the solaris file system, all my solaris machines
are sparc, and they never trade disk with my linux machines.
But looking back, it looks like the ufs was, and is still, in the main kernel,
but not in RedHat's kernel.  So it looks like it is possible for you to make a
kernel module or kernel that will see it.
But I don't think it was a RedHat based distribution that you saw it on before,
because it looks like it hasn't been in any of the RHEL kernels.
Sorry, but I don't have any more information than that.
Troy

Alex Kruchkoff wrote:
> A quick question.
>
> I know that linux kernel implement at least read access to ufs.
> In the past I could mount Solaris 10 partions on my laptop.
>
>  From /proc/filesystems I can see that ufs is not there [2.6.18-8.1.4.el5]
> Is anyone on this list is accessing Solaris fs?
> May be somebody could suggest an rpm for the kernel-module or modified
> kernel?
>
> Or the only way is to install kernel src.rpm and start hacking the spec?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Alex

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group