SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
Jim Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 15:29:31 -0500
Hello,

On Tue, May 5, 2015, at 01:02 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> SL 6.6 x64
>
> I looked over on
>      https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/993679
> for alternative to Flash.
>
> They recommended Lightspark or Gnash.  Neither of
> which I can find with "yum --enablerepo=* whatprovides".
>
> Any other ways around Adobe's outdated flash plugin?
> I am mainly concerned about all those flash graphics
> I see on web sites.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I agree with David. If you're concerned about Flash video, don't install
Flash. I don't have Flash installed on my workstation, and I'm still
able to watch most YouTube videos. Sometimes I count myself lucky (in
terms of time saved) if a certain video won't play in my browser.  : )

If you want to watch Flash videos, though, probably the safest bet is to
install Google Chrome, which embeds a "Pepper" flash-compatible plugin
[0]. Mozilla has shown no interest in supporting this plugin [1],
though, so Chrome would be your only way to get it.

Regards,

Jim

[0]
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Chrome-to-Get-Full-Pepper-Plugin-API-Support-Soon-254658.shtml