SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Clint Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clint Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:39:07 -0700
Background:  I had a working Majordomo installation administering a
dozen email lists under RHEL5 but seem to be having difficulty
getting the environment back in order after installing SL5.3.  I
have done the necessary "newaliases" and "service sendmail restart"
to keep sendmail aware of changes.  At this point I think I have
drunk too much coffee and could use clearer heads than mine.

1.  I like to keep the list aliases in a separate file,
aliases.majordomo, rather than in /etc/aliases.
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc contains

FEATURE(`smrsh', `/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl

and

define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases,/etc/aliases.majordomo')dnl

However, I have observed the following behavior:

When I send email to an alias in /etc/aliases, e.g., postmaster, it
shows up in root's email as expected.  But when I send email to an
address in my list alias file, I get a--

"|/home/majordomo/wrapper resend -l test test-outgoing"
     (reason: Service unavailable)

While tracking down the cause I ran praliases and see:

[root@aeolus etc]# praliases postmaster
postmaster:root
postmaster: No such key

which I take to mean that postmaster:root was found in my
/etc/aliases file but not in the other one.

[root@aeolus etc]# praliases owner-test
owner-test: No such key
owner-test:clint

seemingly correctly shows that test is not in /etc/aliases but
appears in the other file.  If I copy the aliases for test into
/etc/aliases, the incoming email to owner-test is correctly routed
to clint.

It's looking as if this installation of sendmail wants all of the
aliases in /etc/aliases or have I forgotten some sendmail secret?

2.  Now that I can direct email towards majordomo by putting the
alias in /etc/aliases, I'm now having problems with smrsh.  The
usual approach is to
"ln -s /home/majordomo/wrapper /etc/smrsh/wrapper"
to allow wrapper to execute under smrsh.  However I am getting:

smrsh: "wrapper" not available for sendmail programs
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

which implies that I don't have wrapper in the correct location.
I've tried copying (rather than "ln -s") wrapper into /etc/smrsh
and still receive the same message.

[root@aeolus sbin]# ll /etc/smrsh
-rws------ 1 root root 16587 Aug 31 11:10 wrapper

I've peeked inside /usr/sbin/smrsh and see "/etc/smrsh" which seems
to imply that this copy of /usr/sbin/smrsh is expecting the
programs to be in /etc/smrsh rather than one of the other favorite
locations.

I could certainly use some insight.

TIA

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	[log in to unmask]
Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	[log in to unmask]
Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600