SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:09:15 -0500
In case anyone was thinking of doing this...

I know this isn't supported, but I thought I'd try upgrading a
throw-away 5.4 machine (which, IIRC, has been upgraded from
SL4.something) to 6.0. I had to use the boot disk since the machine
doesn't have a DVD drive. Then I had to give it the boot option
upgradeany to get it to offer an upgrade.  This machine only has 512mb
of RAM (I remember when that was a lot), causing it to decline to
attempt a graphical installation and proceed with a text-based
install.

While it was starting the upgrade and it blathered a bunch of "putting
<package> in simple update" messages across and down the screen,
making for an interesting background pattern. Rather amusing in a way.
 I have a screenshot of anyone wants to see it.

As for the results of my experiments in upgrading, I don't recommend it.

1. There were a bunch of SL5 packages that didn't get removed, and
apparently a couple of the SL5 packages were considered "newer" than
the corresponding SL6 packages (I later upgraded them with rpm's
--oldpackage option).

2. SELinux seemed to be rather hosed up. Attempting a relabel
generated a lot of messages about conflicting specifications, and
whenever the system booted it'd throw a lot of "operation not
supported" from setfilecon on all the /dev files. Very little would
even start with SELinux enabled.

                                                         - Bluejay Adametz

Congress is strange. One speaks, says nothing; nobody listens, all disagree.

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of
information, or information otherwise protected from disclosure by law.
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, dissemination or
distribution of this message or any of its attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately by reply email and destroy this message, including all
attachments, and any copies thereof.