SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2005

From:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:10:22 +0300
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am new to SL and a have some problems...
> > First annoying thing was when at install when without choosing mail
> > servers and samba servers at all i ended up with them installed.
> If you choose the "Server" install, then yes, you end up with a certain
> amount of servers.  The list of which servers are installed, and which
> are not is the same as came from RedHat.  We did not change that.
> During the install, in the 'customize' packages, you need to scroll down
>   to the 'server' section and select which servers you do and don't want
> installed.

 Some packages comes from dependences on the others, one of mail
servers should be there in any case.

> > Second was that despite the fact that cd?s passed integrity checks at
> > add/remove packages I received error no matter what I tried. Fortunately
> > I could just rpm -ivh.
>
> I am assuming that you are using RedHat's 'Install Packages' program.  I
> thought we took that out, I'm quite sure we don't install it by default.
>   It just plain doesn't work.
> If you have a network, use yum or apt, if you don't ... rpm -ivh is the
> best.
>
> > Third: its not clear at install time what method is preferred: apt or
> > yum. From what I seen in howto?s it seem that yum is preferred. Maybe a
> > small comment in description to say that yum is preferred would be nice
> > (?? would be??)
>
> We (Scientific Linux) officially don't have a preference, except of the
> x86_64 platform.  Both apt and yum can be installed with no ill effects.
> I personally prefer yum, and since I write the vast majority of the
> documentation, I write it for yum.  Documentation is accepted for apt.
> But I'm not going to write it since I don't know it.

 Both will works, yum is my preference as it have nice "--installroot"
option which is missing in apt-get. (Uhhh, and now I'm waiting for
v2.2)

> > Forth: using the generic 'us' keyboard i have a lot of problems in
> > pressing ' and " (and another keys)
>
> Do you have a generic US keyboard?  run
>    redhat-config-keyboard
> to change it to what you have.
>
> > Fifth : from a terminal in a graphical mode (kde ) find ./ -name '*'
> > returns nothing. ina terminal in text mode i receive corect output
>
> I hate to say 'it works for me', but it does.  It's possible that it's
> something with the keyboard in the previous problem.
>
> > Sixth : mc (midnight commander) is not part of SL ?? is it another
> > aplication similar around ??
>
> I've never used it ... so I'll let others answer that.

 Got it from SLC (CERN distro).

> > For now thats all .. :))
> > Thank you
> > Adrian Sevcenco
>
> Troy
> --
> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/CSS  CSI Group

Best regards,
 Valery Mitsyn