SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:24:58 -0600
Vinod Gupta wrote:
> On 12/27/2006 9:06 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Vinod Gupta wrote:
>>> None of our SL3/SL4 machines can detect _some_ of our portable USB
>>> hard drives. For ones that are failing:
>>>
>>> cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows no devices.
>>> syslog show the following error:
>>> kernel: usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using address 12
>>> kernel: usb-storage: probe of 1-7:1.0 failed with error -1
>>>
>>> All these portable drives work fine on Windows, and even on knoppix
>>> LiveCD, so it must be related to SL/RHEL.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> If you really want us to help, a bit more information is needed.
>>
>> Troy
>
> That is the only relevant information I see in the proc system and
> syslog. I will be happy to send you more diagnostic info if you could
> suggest what to look for where? I think it is just a question of
> relatively poor auto-hardware detection in RHEL. Market is full of
> portable USB drives (disk as well as flash based), RHEL particularly
> lacks support for many. I am wondering if users can modify USB drivers
> to narrow the gap.
>
> Vinod

What version of Scientific Linux are you running?  And what kernel version?
   cat /etc/redhat-release
   uname -a

I ask that because in S.L. 3.0.x the USB support wasn't as good as in
S.L. 4.x.  Also, there are continually new drivers being added with each
kernel.  So to say "All S.L. 3 and 4 releases don't do USB" is basically
just ignoring all the work that goes in after a product is released.

Also, you really don't say what USB devices you are having trouble with.
  Is this a simple flash usb thumb drive?  Is this a full blown serial
RAID5 chassis with it's own power supply?

Whether it works on Windows or Knoppix is really not too important,
other than it means that the hardware isn't broken.  The problem is that
you want it to work on S.L..
If you find that your USB device isn't working on the latest releases
(I'd pick S.L. 4.4), we certainly are open to you contributing a driver
for it.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468