SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 08:24:56 -0700
I have  2 monitors connected to a GTX 560 running kmod-nvidia from the
repositories v 310.40.

Thanks to help from people on the list it now uses RANDR and works well
for everything tested except:

The monitors are both 1080p, arranged as a landscape on the left and
portrait on the right. I switch the landscape monitor on an hdmi switch
(I have to check but I think both monitors are in DVI connector on the
board).

When I switch off this computer onto one of the other ones, something in
the new setup crams everything onto the remaining monitor, which is not
so bad but a) doesn't return to the old setup when I switch back and b)
the pixel addressing is messed up so a click on an icon or menu doesn't
do what's expected.

My solution is to click on the Application menu then use keyboard arrows
to navigate to log out, log back in and everything works. Since some of
you have kids who may be looking over your shoulder we'll call that
sub-optimal.

So my questions are:

a) can I disable this too-smart for its own good feature?
b) Is there a way to reload the X config while running?
c) What else am I not so blissfully ignorant of about X configuration?

As always thanks for your help.

Joe