SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Phil Schaffner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Schaffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:33:27 -0400
Lamar Owen wrote on 04/15/2011 03:02 PM:
> On Friday, April 15, 2011 11:47:07 AM you wrote:
>> Phil In looking into the background of non-pae c
>>   pu's this seems an issue for mobile processors Pentium M based 400mhz FSB and before.
>>   One wouldn't think that there were this many devices out there still kicking, but I guess I am wrong.

Yes - there seem to have been quite a lot of Pentium-M non-PAE systems
sold even after most of the world was PAE or x86_64.

> Heh, I have Pentium II's, III's, and even a couple of Pentium Pro's still in production, in addition to a dozen or so Pentium M laptops (unsure of FSB, but these laptops are probably PAE-capable); also several Pentium III and 4 laptops.  If it works, and does the job reliably.....
>
> On the non-linux side, have a VAXstation 4000 still up, controlling a heavily modified Perkin-Elmer PDS-2020 microdensitometer......aka 'a scanner' even though it weighs 7,000+ pounds avoirdupois.

Still have one live VAXstation in my building running some legacy code
that has not been ported elsewhere.  Fortunately I don't have to manage
it as most of my VAX/VMS expertise has long been lost, after most of the
former herds of Vaxen from past decades wandered off into the sunset.

Phil