SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:51:51 -0600
Eric Wu wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to change the default panel on our SL install.
> We are pushing out desktops and we would
> like some customizations to show up for all users.
> For example, I want to replace the Mozilla button
> with a Firefox button and get rid of the printer manager button.
>
> Is the a file or group of files that controls this for
> all users?  I looked through the gnome manual, but
> I couldn't find it (I could've missed it too, not sure).
>

> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,
We do have an rpm called SL_desktop_tweeks.
This tweeks the panel for both KDE and GNOME.

**begin rant**
Let me tell you, the GNOME panel is at lest 200% harder to tweek than
the KDE one.  I sent mail to all the GNOME, fedora mailling lists.  I
read through all the manuals.  I got in the GNOME peoples face asking
them to 'throw me a bone ... point me at least to the right manual', and
finally one sent me a link to a manual I'd already read 5 times, but had
skipped over.  I finally found it.  But that was 8 months ago, and I
don't remember all the details.
**end rant**

Until I can find the details that I sent to those mailling lists, a way
to figure it out is to install SL_desktop_tweeks and look through what
it does.

   yum install SL_desktop_tweeks
   rpm -ql --script --triggers SL_desktop_tweeks

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468