SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2012

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:47:30 -0500
On 03/29/2012 08:32 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/28/2012 04:58 PM, Kinzel, David wrote:Anything in firefox
>     "about:config" should be able to be set like that globally.
>
>     I'm actually trying on FF 10 on a 32bit install.
>     I've been trying various filenames with those contents (also pref(),
>     lock_pref() and lockPref()) in:
>     /usr/lib/firefox/
>     /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/
>     /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/__preferences/ (this is where
>     channel-prefs.js exists)
>     I even created /etc/firefox (and a few subdirectories based on a
>     google search.
>     I'm stuck with the "file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/__index.html", even
>     after clearing out ~/.mozilla.
>
>     I'm not looking for theoretical replies, but rather someone who is
>     _actually_ doing it and has it working.  There must be someone out
>     there who's got this worked out on SL/CentOS/TUV.
>

> I have tested this on a 6.2 sl amd64 with firefox from the mozilla ftp
> site and it works:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locking_preferences
>
> In the past I have locked down firefox on different OS (win/lin/mac)
> using the instructions there and works. It is not the most elegant
> solution ever, but it is doable.
>
> --
> groet,
> natxo

AHA!  I'd looked at that page previously, but not close enough.
For anyone else interested, the above link contains the file contents.
For FF 10 packaged by SL, the following is true:
The files need to start with // on the first line, contents of this line
are ignored.  All real content should start on line 2.

Contents of /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/preferences/local-settings.js:
//
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0");
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

Contents of /usr/lib/firefox/mozilla.cfg:
//
lockPref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://url/");

This is a rather strange way of Mozilla to go about it, but it does work.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

-Mark
--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola