SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:08:58 -0500
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hi Eve,
>> The problem is that a plain SL5 ssh client does not do
>> GSSAPIDelegateCredentials and this is what is needed for you to get your AFS
>> credentials on minos06.
>>
>> https://fermilinux.fnal.gov/documentation/security/ssh-client/
> <snip>
>
> I hope no-one minds if I ask a stupid question...
>
> What is to stop a user from adding the relevant section to their own
> .ssh/config ?  I know that isn't useful for catching all users but it is a
> useful test...
>
> According to my understanding of the ssh client the *first* (matching)
> value found for each parameter is the one used and it is defined to read
> the user config before the system one (and command-line options before
> that)...
>
> BTW the web page mentions a clash with GSSAPIDelegateCredentials on
> Ubuntu, which probably means that they are setting the value earlier than
> the suggested host... fragment (so will be found first).
>
> From man ssh_config (on sl5 in case it matters):

>    Since the first obtained value for each parameter is used, more
>    host-specific declarations should be given near the beginning of the
>    file, and general defaults at the end.
>
>   -- Jon

Hi Jon,
You  are right, with that section at the top of the ssh_config file,
Ubuntu users shouldn't have a problem.  I have rewritten it to sound
better.  But I'm leaving it in, because it's usually the Ubuntu users
that have been having problems getting AFS tokens when they login.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group