SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
Vinod Gupta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vinod Gupta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 15:36:07 -0400
CMS is one of about twenty Physics groups here in Princeton University.
We have our own Linux distribution based on RHEL with a few Princeton
specific home grown RPMs. The CMS group has been using SL. We are trying
to find a most practical way of providing a "SL" environment on top of
RHEL based Linux without having to change the base distribution for the
other 19 groups in the department. I guess Princeton is not the only
University that has and want to maintain their own Linux distribution.

Since both PU and SL are based on RHEL, I believe, there is lot more
similarity than differences in the two distributions. Can we simply
setup workstations of CMS group using PU linux and then install a few SL
RPMs to convert them to SL? Will it work for CMS work or there are some
fundamental changes which make SL very different, and probably
incompatible with RHEL?

Thanks,

Vinod Gupta
Physics department