SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:00:40 -0600
Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Pursuing my obsession for lower electrical power, I have been
> attempting to get an ASUS EEE Box (the desktop, not the
> micro-notebook) working with SL5.0  .  The box draws only 16
> watts, up to 20 with some USB peripherals added.  However, it
> is a bit of a driver nightmare, and a few things are implemented
> wrong (2.8V on the microphone input?  Should be 5V to power
> electret microphones).
>

> I've got most of the problems solved, but the graphics is still
> driving me a bit nuts.  It uses an Intel 945GM chipset.  I have
> a 1400x1050 monitor, and have been fiddling around with
> 915resolution and xorg.conf and modelines, but X insists on
> bringing up the display in ugly 1280x1024 mode using the vesa
> driver in SL5.0 with the updated 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 kernel and
> X version 7.1.1 .  Playing with the i810 or i915 driver prevents
> X from starting.  I am quite ignorant of what I am doing, but
> don't know which portion of my ignorance to correct in order to
> get this running.
>
> The EEE and the 1400x1050 display works fine with the delivered
> WinXP (on a different hard drive) and with installed Ubuntu
> 8.04 Hardy Heron (on yet a different drive).  It also works
> directly off a live CD with Ubuntu 9.04alpha3 Jaunty Jackalope.
> I've been looking at the Xorg log from that for clues, but I
> suspect that X and the drivers are so much newer than SL5
> that there is little knowledge that ports backwards.
>
> The eee will eventually end up in my wife's office, with a
> 1280x1024 display anyway - so I am probably wasting time trying
> to get the larger monitor working properly.  However, there
> might be folks here interested in the eee, so I will continue
> attempting to do resolution hacks if that is of interest.
>
> Does anybody care enough about this for me to spend a few
> more hours banging my head against this wall?  If so, can
> anyone point me at successful usages of Centos5/SL5 X with
> Intel graphics chipsets and this non-standard VESA resolution?
>

> BTW, I plan to run a VMware Win2K client on the SL5/EEE, with
> Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 Professional running, copying a
> similar setup from my T30 laptop.  The next task is to compile
> a custom kernel with some realtime timing hacks so that the
> sound processing is smoother.  I will be using a USB mike,
> bypassing the stupidly designed analog input.
>
> With the Intel graphics sucking bandwidth out of the main
> memory, I wonder if the speech recognition will fail?  Since
> the T30 uses a 2GHz P4 with PC2200 RAM, and the EEE  uses
> a 1.6GHz Atom with PC5300 DDR2 RAM, I suspect there will be
> more overall bandwidth available for computation on the EEE.
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,
Is there a reason why you are using SL 5.0 instead of SL 5.2?
Graphics is one of the things that was updated.  You might get your newer
kernel, but without the newer xorg stuff that goes with it, it might not be
working correctly.
If you want to try it via live, you can use our livecd to give it a try.
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/livecd/52/

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group