SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:38:06 -0800
On 2014-12-14 09:29, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 12/14/2014 03:03 AM, jdow wrote:
>>> Assuming you have a license for MS Windows if one is required and enforced by
>>> your nation state (it is in the USA, EU, etc.), a very effective alternative is
>>> to load Oracle VirtualBox (licensed for free), load MS Windows under VirtualBox,
>>> and then install whatever MS Windows applications you need within MS Windows
>>> under VirtualBox.  Unlike Wine that has some issues with executing various MS
>>> Windows applications, if the application runs in the release of MS Windows you
>>> have, it will run under MS Windows under Virtual Box.
>>
>> I'd change that last line to "most likely it will run ..."
>>
>>> Yasha Karant
>>
>> There are some cheap fun little toys/tools for people who are into things RF
>> within the 25MHz through 1800 MHz frequency range called DVB-T dongles. The
>> ones with RTL2832U chips can be used as samplers for Software Defined Radios.
>>
>> If you can get one to work on a VirtualBox virtualized machine at its usual
>> full sample rate capability, 2.4 Msps, please let me know. In my experience
>> the virtualized USB bus is vastly too slow to work.
>>
>> This holds with Win7 hosts and SL6.6 hosts and VirtualBox as of about this
>> time last year when I last played with it.
>>
>> So I'd say "most likely" without the implied assurance of 100% such as your
>> turn of phrase suggests.
>>
>> {^_-}   Joanne
>
> Agreed -- I was ignoring hardware and/or driver limitations.  There are cases in
> which peripheral devices physically will connect to a Linux machine but for
> which the VirtualBox peripheral hardware does not exist or function, and thus
> will not work.  This is the case for almost all virtual environments unless the
> host can release the hardware fully to the guest (including physical machine
> buses -- typically not allowed).
> With this caveat, all typical software applications for MS Windows do work under
> the same MS Windows under VirtualBox -- a very different situation from Wine or
> CrossOver.
>
> If the peripheral can be mounted via Linux as a file system component that is in
> a shared folder with MS Win under VirtualBox, the item typically can be read and
> written.  This may not work for those situations under which MS Windows
> requires/demands full direct access and control.
>
> Yasha

As it happens I can almost run the SDR applications on virtual machines with the
Windows 7 host. The limitation is chiefly the speed of the virtualized USB bus.
It's under 1/10th speed for bulk transfers. This includes SL6 VMs.

To be honest I forget the details on the SL6 host with the various VMs. I
vaguely remember it was "grim" at best. I'll have to try again to find out.

{^_^}