SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:20:20 +0100
On 13/08/2009, Tosh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 13/08/09 11:06, Renato Callado Borges wrote:
>
> > Hello Toshaan!

> Toshiba
> but I

> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19968&forum=39&post_id=75582#forumpost75582
> > > >

> > > would it be easier to just add elrepo and install kmod-ath5k
> > > I know you work on the repository and if I remember well, Dag has
> > > tested this particular wireless chipset with the kmod package
> > > Instructions to install elrepo :
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php
> > > package details : http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-ath5k
> > > you might need to add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf (or
> > > is this done automatically)
> > > alias wlan0 ath5k
> > >

> > I'm new to SL, old to linux, and I'm trying to help the poster detect his
> card. From his lspci output, I know his chipset is AR242x, and that this one
> needs the ath5k module.
> >

> > > From the linux wireless pages, I know that the ath5k module is in the
> 2.6.25 and later kernels.
> > >

> > My questions are: which version is the SL 5.3 kernel, and does it have the
> ath5k precompiled?
> >
> > In summary, I'm confident loading the ath5k module will solve the problem,
> but I'm not sure which is 'the SL way' of doing this.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

>  You would seem to have 3 choices :
>  1) keep the current kernel of 2.6.18-128.xxx and manually load the madwifi
> driver (I recommend madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6)
>  2) keep the current kernel of 2.6.18-128.xxx and install kmod from elrepo,
> which is a "backport" of the new kernel module introduced by Redhat for
> rhel5.4 (and will be for centos5.4 and sl5.4)
>  3) download dzickus kernel with precompiled ath5k module (I suggest to stay
> under 155, this seems to be the version in the beta, so it might end up
> being the next kernel in 5.4)
>
>  I personally think you may want to stay with the official kernel of SL and
> just use the elrepo kmod
>  I think this would be considered to be the "SL way"

As the packager of kmod-ath5k for ELRepo, I would like to assist by
clarifying (2), above.

The ath5k kmod is functionally identical to the subsystem present in
RHEL 5.4beta kernel (which is Don Zickus' kernel-2.6.18-155.el5) and
is the code that will appear in RHEL 5.4 & its derivatives (SL 5.4 /
CentOS 5.4).

One other important point to note is that the mac80211 subsystem was
re-written for RHEL 5.4beta. As ath5k depends upon mac80211, invoking
a "yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-ath5k" command will also
install the kmod-mac80211 package as a dependant. If anyone wishes to
manually install the kmod-ath5k package from ELRepo, they should also
download the matching kmod-mac80211 package and install both with a
"rpm -ivh kmod-ath5k*.rpm kmod-mac80211*.rpm" type of command line.

Alan.