SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:16:22 +0200
Hi,

On Aug 23, 2012, at 15:18 , Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 08/18/2012 03:57 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been running Scientific Linux since the 6.0 days, and single-user mode have basically behaved how I have expected it those few times I needed it.  As I usually set up my boxes root accounts with passwords disabled, single-user mode needs to be without root password.
>>
>> Today, after having upgraded from 6.3, I needed to enter single-user mode at boot.  And I was asked for a password at boot time.  Is this change intentional?
>>
>> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>> Scientific Linux release 6.3 (Carbon)
>> # rpm -qa | grep -i sl_password_for_singleuser | wc -l
>> 0
>> # grep SINGLE /etc/sysconfig/init
>> SINGLE=/sbin/sushell
>>
>> If this change was intentional, how can I go back to the old behaviour?  I double checked the behaviour with an old VM with SL6.1, and that behaves as expected.
>>

>> kind regards,
>>
>> David Sommerseth
>
> Hi David,
>
> The behavior shouldn't have changed.  You've provided just about all the relevant details in your email, so there isn't really anything I want to ask for more information.

but I do :-) How did you end up in single user mode? Did you pass "single" to the kernel, or was there a problem with a filesystem and the system decided to drop you to a shell?

In the latter case, rc.sysinit in SL < 6.3 unconditionally ran sulogin, which may explain some of the complaints we had on this list, and this case.

As of 6.3 the rcS-emergency task is started instead. It still defaults to sulogin, but it's configurable. An EMERGENCY=/sbin/sushell in /etc/sysconfig/init should do.

Regards,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand