SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:56:25 -0400
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Arif Tri Waluyo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Earl Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 05:37 +0700, Arif Tri Waluyo wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > During the installation we were told to enter the hostname, but when
>> > the system is installed. Hostname changed to localhost.localdomain. Is
>> > that normal?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Arif
>>

>> Hi Arif,
>>
>> This is not normal, however you can change the host name by editing the
>> network file located in the following location /etc/sysconfig/network

Which will do you little good if your lcal DNS or /etc/hosts does not
really know about the hostname, be warned.

Arif probably used the 'hostname' command to set the host's name in
the running environment, rather than using "system-config-network" or
entering that morass of schizophrenic configuration management known
as NetworkManager. NetworkManager is not my friend, for many reasons,
but the system-config-network tool is usable.

When a system boots, the network setup scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts read the hardcoded "HOSTNAME" setting
from /etc/sysconfig/network. If that name is "localhost.localdomain",
it then tries to do a reverse DNS lookup of the first active network
port, typically "eth0". If there is an IP address available and it has
reverse DNS correctly set, you get that hostname automagically.

For server environments, this is usually a bad idea. Using
system-config-network to hardcode the hostname, and hand-editing the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files to *turn off
NetworkManager with a chainsaw* for normal ports by setting
"NM_CONTROLLED=no" is very stabilizing.