SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:10:20 -0500
Wilm Schumacher wrote:
> Hello Scientific Linux Mailing list,
>
> I use Ubuntu and Suse at home so I'm new with Scientific Linux and so I have some questions about the customization of my Desktop.
>
> At first I want to use some effects from compiz but there is only the possibility to activate or deactovate the effects (okay, and one can choose between 2 effects).
>
> Where can I configure all effects? Usually there is the setting manager ccsm, but there is no package in the repository. Does the package have another name here?
>
> Another Problem is the behavior of multiple Desktops. Where can I configure this?
>
> I use SL 5.2 with gnome.
>
> Greeting
>
> Wilm

I'm not an expert on the latest desktop configs, 3d tools & eye-candy,
but searches for rhel/fedora/centos + subject will usually turn up stuff
relevant to SL as they are all RPM based distros.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gnome+compiz+centos

RHEL CentOS 5 Yum Repository - Compiz Community Forums
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8844
Enabling Compiz Fusion On A Fedora 8 GNOME Desktop (ATI & nVidia)
http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-fedora8-ati-mobility-radeon-9200
http://www.howtoforge.org/compiz-fusion-fedora8-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200

You question about the behavior of multiple desktops is rather vague. A
bit dated (RHEL-4), but the information in the Manuals is usefull...
Red Hat Desktop Deployment Guide
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

-Cheers, Art@JAX