SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
John Fattaruso <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Fattaruso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:37:34 -0500
Hello:

I'm trying to add the saa7134 module for driving a video capture card to
a SL 4.0 system. The configuration file /boot/config-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL
indicates the module is not included in the stock SL release.

So I've installed the kernel source rpm and tried my first attempt at
some kernel compiling. Piecing together what I read from various
documents, I've tried:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.9
make mrproper
cp /boot/config-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL .config
make menuconfig
(set value for SAA7134 to 'm')
make
modprobe drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134.ko

But the modprobe returns an error reporting an 'Invalid module format'.
I'm guessing this may have something to do with not applying all the
kernel patches? I gave the patch-kernel script a try, but couldn't find
any good documentation on exactly how to run it. Or maybe something else
I'm missing? Any hints appreciated.

Thanks-
John