SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:55:05 -0500
How does the kernel name the sata drives?  Seems to change around on reboot.

I have a machine with 2 sata drives that are mirrored.  And a large disk array on a megaraid card which makes up the third "drive" on the machine.

I reinstalled the machine by first pulling out the megaraid card.  Installed SL6.1 on my RAID1 mirrors. I saved the partition info from sda and sdb, grubbed both disks, then shut the machine down to reinstall the megaraid card.

Reboot the machine and now the megaraid drive is sda, and my system disks are sdb and sdc.

I realize that the system mounts the disks with uuid's so it really doesn't matter. It just means I have to make a note of it in the RAID1 info I saved so several years from now when I really have to replace a mirror member, I will remember that sdb became sdc or did sdb stay as sdb and sda became sdc.