SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 14:20:45 +0300
Hi ToddAndMargo!

 On 2015.05.06 at 23:45:41 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote next:

> >Many thanks,
> >-T
> >

> Not to ask too stupid a question, but would a hybrid drive,
> such as
>
> http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/?sku=ST2000DX001
>
> not require TRIM and work with an hardware controller?

I don't recommend using these at all, if you check the reviews, their
performance isn't that much different from regular hard drive in many
use cases.

They make sense for notebooks but hardly for desktop.

Regarding your question, it doesn't make much sense because you aren't
going to get the kind of performance you get from "SSD with degraded
performance" from this drive. For OS, it's regular hard drive (without
TRIM support) with extra cache to speed up some operations.

--

Vladimir