SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:07:38 -0400
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Lukas Press <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 24/04/11 19:12, Yannick Perret wrote:
>>
>> Vaclav Mocek a écrit :

>>> "vim"  and "bash" :-)

emacs, you heretic!!!! (vim for small files and stripped operating
systems, Emacs for programming enciornments).
sed.
awk.
grep and all the regexp syntax.
sort.
cut.
make (If I run into one more idiot who tries to replace make with
their own hand-written and unmaintainable perl or python verian, I
will scream: Don't *START* me on the perl's MakeMaker tool.)
inetd or xinetd.
syslog and its variants.
.bashrc and .bash_profile, and the subtle distinctions between them.

SysV init scripts: too many people try to re-invent those.
Nagios and its monitoring utilits. (Again, too many people try to
re-invent those unnecessarily.)
Webmin. (Again, too many people try to re-invent utilities already
done well in Webmin.)

>> +1 :)
>> Maybe at/cron (crontabs: how to deal with *useful* output of crontabs and
>> to learn to target mails to the *good* people :)).
>> Maybe also 'sudo': learn them to *not* use root access :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Y.
>
> Screen?

VNC and NX, for reconnectable, X-based access.