SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2015

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2015 11:13:16 -0400
Well it comes down to server vs desktop‎.
Keep in mind that TUV for SL is RHEL which is meant to be a business server distro. Kstars is a great application for a desktop but has no place on a server.
Back before RHEL 6 Red Hat tried to push an "Enterprise Desktop" variant of RHEL which included a lot of Desktop applications and was missing a lot of the server applications. RHEL AS (Advanced Server) included every thin‎g from both the server and desktop variants, at the time that is was what SL was built off of. Now Red Hat doesn't push the Enterprise Desktop version as much as they use too because it never caught on as well as they hoped, furthermore they minimized what they included in it to strictly what developers asked for no more no less. As for EPEL any thing can be added assuming some one is willing to maintain the packages, and you can get a fedora project shepard (kindof like a project manager) to sign off on it.