SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:00:50 -0700
"Bly, MJ \(Martin\)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Surely the key is this: from your lspci:
>
> 00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02)
> 	Subsystem: Unknown device 9292:0202
>                             ^^^^^^^^^
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
> 	I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
> 	Memory at d9001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> 	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=32K]
>

> And Connie's list of 'known devices':
>
> 1101 Initio Corporation
>        1060  INI-A100U2W
>        9100  INI-9100/9100W
>        9400  INI-940
>        9401  INI-950
>        9500  360P
>        9502  Initio INI-9100UW Ultra Wide SCSI Controller INIC-950P chip
>

> Basically, the driver doesn't recognise your card even though it *may*
> support it because the device id number is not known.  You would have to
> munge the pcitable file in the install image to allow it to associate
> the driver with the device automagically.  Even then there is no
> guarantee the driver will actually work...
>
> The other problem can be this: the driver module must match exactly the
> kernel in use for the boot install - if it doesn't it won't load.  I've
> been down that track with device drivers before and it's a big source of
> bruises to the forehead.
>
> 'Lspci -n' should tell you exactly what device id number the controller
> card is - the[n] you can check if the driver supports it and try munging
> the pcitable file.

Martin, thank you for this explanation.  As you can tell, I've a good deal
to learn about linux.  I'll try to follow your suggestions.  Two questions:

- where do I find the pcitable - or, which file is the 'install image'?
  I've looked at several of the files on CD#1, including 'vmlinuz' and
  'initrd.img', and couldn't find anything I recognized as a pci informa-
  tion table (tho a few files contained 'pcitable' as a string).

- by 'munge' I assume you mean modify, i.e. edit.  Can I use a simple text
  editor, or do I need a particular tool?

Thanks much for your help.  It feels finally as tho there's beginning to be
a bit of wind to rescue me from being becalmed.

- Dushan