SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:31:09 -0400
On 04/26/2013 11:14 PM, Joseph Areeda wrote:
>> I try to old use enterprise level hard drives.  Saves me a lot
>> agony.  For SSD's I am currently using Intel's 520 cherryville
>> series.  For mechanical drives, I am using Toshiba's HDEPQxxxxx
>> Enterprise line.
>>
>> -T
> Thanks Todd,
>
> that was the first SSD I installed.  I had Windows, SL6 and Ubuntu 11.04
> booting off of it and didn't notice a speed increase that was worth the
> cost.
>
> It did work flawlessly for almost two years and with a sample size of 1
> I can't complain too much.  The next time I used a SanDisk because of
> favorable reviews and a good price.  We'll see.

I have used a couple of OCZ SSDs for the past 5 years or so and never
had problems with either of those.  And they are _much_ faster than
platter drives.  In my case the machine booted in less than half the time.

Also, FWIW, I have had more failed enterprise grade drives than desktop
drives.  Just keep in mind that YMMV.

Jeff