SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:53:10 +0800
I'm one of your newer users, having installed my first SL yesterday.

However, I've been around awhile; first used Red Hat Linux at 4.0 on a
486. Used Debian for a few years. Currently run/administer CentOS, WBEL
and Debian systems. OpenSUSE on my thinkpad (likely to change to SL,
openSUSE was only ever stopgap). Madwifi is attractive.

I installed SL5 on my thinkcentre, then copied my package list from my
(now) old desktop and fed it through yum. Didn't get everything, but got
more than I expected (Pine - yeah).

I copied my ~ which has settings going back to RHL 7.3 via Debian. Seems
to work okay, my (KDE) desktop restarted as usual.

My immediate problem is my preferred browser is Mozilla - er -
Seamonkey. I couldn't find it with yum, nor with Google, nor can I see
that anyone's asked about it for SL5.

Does anyone have it? or should I just build it myself? Might have a
src.rpm around here someplace....

--

Cheers
John