SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Dan McMahill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan McMahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 07:32:15 -0400
Hello,

I'm trying to install the x86_64 version 4.7 release of scientific linux
on a Dell Precision 490 from the install CD's.  I used the same set of
CD's to install to a dual opteron box a few days ago and it all went
smoothly.  On the Dell however, the install hangs either while
decompressing the kernel or right when it tries to run the decompressed
kernel.  i.e. I see the boot loader stuff and the "......." when it says
its loading vmlinuz but I never see even the first kernel message.

The machine is currently running a very old RHEL and I needed a more
modern system.

This system has two dual core xeon 5130 processors and 4 GB of RAM.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I see that SL 4.8 has just been
released but I guess I'd like to get 4.7 on the system to keep it the
same as the other box here and keep it the same as what a number of
other users I work with have.

I'm a long time unix-like OS user but have relatively little
linux-specific background.

Thanks
-Dan