SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 00:38:35 -0800
On 01/25/2013 10:51 AM, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 25 January 2013 18:18, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the correction.
>>
>> Am I correct to assume that this driver -- presumably derived from the
>> proprietary Nvidia driver that must be uninstalled per the documentation in
>> the URL that you provided -- has fully stereoscopic 3D support, including
>> whatever openGL modifications are required, as does the Nvidia "factory"
>> package?
>>
>> If so, and thus stereoscopic 3D activation in the xorg.conf file is
>> required, does this ELrepo package provide the necessary xorg.conf file?  If
>> not, and if the ELrepo derivative requires the same syntax in the same
>> xorg.conf stanzas as the Nvidia "factory" driver, could you kindly transmit
>> my xorg.conf file fix to the Elrepo group, or provide me with the correct
>> contact information?
>
> Yasha,
>
> Please refresh you memory of the ELRepo Project's home page [1], in
> particular the section headed 'Need Help?'. It may also be to your
> benefit to review the relevant 'nVidia' pages [2][3][4][5].
>
> You already have an account on the ELRepo bug tracker [6] where we
> will accept both bug reports and RFEs. If you have forgotten your
> password/phrase, let me know and I will arrange for a reset.
>
> Finally there is also a 'Contact' page [7], which should make things
> quite clear.
>
> Regards,
> Alan.
>
> [1] http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php
> [2] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
> [3] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-96xx
> [4] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-173xx
> [5] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-304xx
> [6] http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php
> [7] http://elrepo.org/tiki/Contact

Thank you for the URLs above.  I actually had read the one for the
current ELrepo driver, but it was not clear from the information at the
URL if there was full 3D stereoscopic support as with the proprietary
Nvidia (".run") installer. Undoubtedly, I must have misread or simply
missed this detail.   As I have noted, the xorg.conf file created by the
Nvidia installer does not activate the 3D stereoscopic functions (e.g.,
the emitter does not "go green" with a proper 3D application, such as
UCSF Chimera configured to provide Nvidia-style switched stereoscopic
3D), and I had to hand modify the xorg.conf file.  The documentation
provided by Nvidia is less than completely transparent which is why I
posted a working 3D stereoscopic xorg.conf file to this list (it being
relatively short).   Does the ELrepo variant automatically construct the
correct 3D stereoscopic xorg.conf file and include the Nvidia modified
OpenGL, etc., files to support Nvidia switching stereoscopic 3D for 64
bit SL 6x?

Regards,

Yasha