SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:48:50 -0500
Hi Tom,
I've never used tpconfig.  Actually since I only have test laptops (old ones
no-one want's anymore) I've never had to turn the pad off.  But that's beside
the point.

You've probrubly already gone here, but just incase you haven't

http://compass.com/synaptics/

And they have a section on how to use it.  I think the relavent stuff is here.

The suggested use of tpconfig is to run it from a startup script ('touchpad'
.. installed for run leves 3 and 5 and provided in the rpms) before gpm is
started.

I usually run tpconfig from a start-up script which (on my RH system) goes in
/etc/rc.d/init.d (and linked under various run levels as S84touchpad) to turn
off the tap mode. Installation of this script and links for run levels 3 and 5
are now performed by the binary rpm

So, I'd say check to make sure that script is installed and turned on first.
Then go from there.

Troy

Tom Haynes wrote:
> Greetings...
>
> I have SL installed on a Dell laptop. I installed tpconfig to disable the
> tap function on the touchpad. Tpconfig is not working, although I am able
> to manually disable the tap in single user mode. When I start X, it gets
> started again.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about what I need to do?
>
> The mouse jumping around as I type is pretty irritating.
>
> Regards...   Tom

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468