SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Karl Leifeste <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Leifeste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:27:57 -0600
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Eric Wu wrote:
> Is the a file or group of files that controls this for
> all users?  I looked through the gnome manual, but
> I couldn't find it (I could've missed it too, not sure).

This is what I found for redhat9, and should be about on par with SL3.
Maybe there is a better way to do this, but I don't know it:

default gnome panel entries are defined in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/objects
This directory (not small or large, but medium for whatever reason)
contains a file named %gconf.xml which contains the specifications for the
default panel entry.  These xml launcher directories are named in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/gene
ral/%gconf.xml.  You'll notice applets etc in other nearby directories.
Unfortunately, if you make a change here and people already have button
entries in ~/.gconf/apps/panel, they will not see the changes.

You can always remove the mozilla entries in their home directories and
replace them with firefox.

A few other pointers:
Gnome application menu folders are found as
/usr/share/desktop-menu-files/${BLAH}
The application menu config file is applications.menu.  Match categories
in there with categories in your .desktop launchers.

Good luck.