SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:55:06 +0200
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I've not looked into sites yet, though it's
> been on my list for a while.  And 586 support
> may become crucial to us soon; we were going
> to replace these but I'm fight budget battles.
> Do you have a list of what you did to get
> those working?
>
> I didn't group reply, but the list may be
> interested as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

I will try to reconstruct what I did to install SL 3.04 on an i586 PC.
By comparing with CentOS 3.4, which does support the i586 and is largely
compatible with SL, I discovered that the necessary i586 packages that
were missing were

	kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.i586.rpm
	kernel-unsupported-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.i586.rpm
	glibc-2.3.2-95.30.i586.rpm
	nptl-devel-2.3.2-95.30.i586.rpm

(You can probably do without the last package.)

The easiest thing to do is to create a modified install tree on a
machine that can act as a nfs server (ftp or http should also work).
I mounted each of the SL iso images and copied their contents into one
directory thus:
	mount -o loop,ro SL.304.050305.i386.disc1.iso /mnt/disc1
	cp -a /mnt/disc1/* /install_path/304/i386/
(the same for disc2,...,disc4).

Next I downloaded the missing i586 packages from a CentOS mirror and
copied them to the SL/RPMS directory in the install tree.

Now the necessary packages are in place but it turns out the installer
doesn't "see" them unless some files in SL/base/ are rebuilt. The most
essential of these are pkgorder, hdlist and hdlist2.

The necessary scripts for rebuilding these can be found in
SL/build/scripts/. I made the following changes to the locations.include
script:

	VERSIONDIR=$VERSION
	RELEASEDIR=/install_path/$VERSIONDIR
	ARCH=i386

Next you need to run the build.hdlist.sh script. For this you need to
have the anaconda and anaconda-runtime packages installed. To make sure
the pkgorder file is rebuilt it is probably best to remove it before
running build.hdlist.sh. I needed to make some modifications to the
build.hdlist.sh script because the version of genhdlist executable I was
using wasn't entirely compatible (the --default option needed to be
replaced by --productpath), but this may not be necessary in your case.

I created boot floppies from images/bootdisk.img and images/drvnet.img
and used these to do a network install on the i586 machine.

Everything seems to work normally, although some boot up script kept
complaining that my machine wasn't supported because I didn't have
enough memory. I could make it shut up by removing /var/lib/supportinfo.
I had to take into account that resources were limited on this old
machine, so I disabled many services and installed icewm instead of
gnome or kde.

You can use yum to do updates, except for the kernel, glibc and related
packages. These need to be downloaded and installed separately. To make
sure yum doesn't mess with these I added the following line to yum.conf:

	exclude=kernel* glibc* nscd* nptl*

I described only the minimal changes necessary to do an install. If you
want to do more customizations or make your own CDs I suggest that you
look at the files in SL/build/scripts/, SL/base/scripts/ and read
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/51/Red_Hat_Custom_Install.pdf .

I hope this has been helpful to you.

--
Paul Rombouts