SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:19:30 -0700
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Steven J. Yellin
>
>          Of course you want a Python 2.7 rpm, but if you can't find one,
>     you can compile Python 2.7.5 from the tarball available via
>     http://www.python.org/__download/ <http://www.python.org/download/> .
>
>     Steven Yellin
>

> I've had to pull that kind of stunt to backport recent Subversion
> releases to older OS's. I do *not* recommend it for a production
> environment, because the Python is likely to be incompatible with other
> utilities.
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net reveals that there are some "python27" packages
> being published for SL 6 and its relatives, listed at:
>
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el6/SRPMS/

As I did not have any means to verify the integrity (lack of malware or
other compromises) in the nux distribution, and aware of the above
issues, I found the necessary RPMs from distributions that have
community acceptance (e.g., Princeton) to allow the current BlueGriffon
to build.  The build was successful (after taking well over 30 minutes
and during much of this simultaneously peaking all four X86-64 cores of
my workstation at over 90 percent load) and I will report separately on
the actual usability of the final product -- have not had a chance to
test and not at the workstation now.  I will separately list the actual
RPMs that I had to download and install.

I do not have the personnel resources to be able to be a maintainer of
BlueGriffon for X86-64.  However, as I seem to have resolved the issues
preventing a build, is there anyone or entity in the community willing
to be a maintainer for EL6?

Yasha Karant