SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:50:02 +0000
Hi:  This is a followup of my post of a month ago,

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scientific.user/7532

in which I reported that after an SL7 kernel upgrade my tv-reception
hardware was no longer working.  At that time it would still work under
older kernels.

Things have got worse; now the old kernels don't work either.

Both devices need kernel modules and firmware.  Both firmware files are
still in /lib/firmware but only one is being loaded.

The immediate causes, read from dmesg, appear to be

DVB: Unable to find symbol tda10046_attach()
DVB: Unable to find symbol it913x_fe_attach()

although these symbols (or very close) *are* present

$ modprobe -c | grep tda1004
alias symbol:tda10046_attach tda1004x

$ modprobe -c | grep it913
alias symbol:it913x_fe_attach it913x_fe

If I use /etc/modprobe.d to add aliases with the missing brackets,
modprobe -c shows them as present, but module loading still fails:-

$ systemctl | grep module
sys-module-configfs.device loaded active plugged   /sys/module/configfs
rhel-loadmodules.service   loaded active exited  Load legacy module
configuration
systemd-modulesload.service loaded failed failed  Load Kernel Modules

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
    Loaded: loaded
(/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2015-01-11 20:14:51
GMT; 1h 22min ago
            start condition failed at Sun 2015-01-11 20:14:57 GMT; 1h
22min ago
*************** none of the trigger conditions were met  **************
      Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
            man:modules-load.d(5)
  Main PID: 95 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

(My emphasis of the 'helpful' error message)

I believe that the *rhel-loadmodules.service* might be part of the real
cause.  For some time I have been seeing, very early in the boot
process, lines flashing onto the screen and disappearing, that must have
had their origin in faulty long-deleted trial versions (legacy?) of
/etc/modprobe.d

I have tried 'systemctl disable rhel-loadmodules.service', but systemctl
still shows it as active and the problems, related or not, still persist.

It looks to me as if this isn't just a niche problem;  I'd like to see
it solved.

I have posted on mythtv-users without much response, and on linux-media
with none, but that was before I came across this 'legacy config'
aspect, which seems more systemd related.

John Pilkington