SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Orlando Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orlando Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:24:53 +0100
On 02/07/09 16:16, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Well ... this is a good place for the discussion.
>
> What *should* we do with those packages that redhat releases for the
>  extended support series.

Do you have access to them okay? I couldn't get to the rpms (or the src
rpms) using my RHN account, but we have a fairly basic level of
entitlements.

> I'll say this upfront that it's a bit of a pain. It's a piece of cake
> to look, download and build any src.rpm's that RedHat releases for
> them. But the hard part is that you then have to figure out which
> release those packages are for. That is the harder part. It is made
> even harder by the fact that these packages usually come out a day to
> a week after RedHat releases their usual security updates for the
> same package. So I have no idea that there is a extra backpatched
> security update for whatever it is until after I've already pushed
> out the normal security update.

Hmm, I see the problem. Unless redhat have a specific announcement
mechanism for the extended support chain, I can't see how to pick up on
them easily. I imagine that there's quite an overhead in continuing to
support N versions of SL4/5 - presumably Redhat also realise this (hence
the large scale of deployment and subscription fees required to become a
subscriber to the extended support service).

> That being said, lets say we do figure out a way for this. How would
> we get these packages out to you in a way that you could get them?

How about dropping them into the SL4.7 update repository? That way,
those who use 4x will skip past them (right?), but those sticking with
4.7 explicitly will still pick them up through yum.