SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:03:24 -0500
Hi Ian,

Ian Murray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list so please be gentle with me!
>
> I am a user of another well known Redhat Rebuild distribution and it has
> come to light that the maintainers don't/can't release interim security
> updates while they are rebuilding a new dot release from upstream, as
> far as I can understand. This is because upstream releases its security
> fixes against the most recent dot release. Therefore there is a
> corresponding delay to security releases.
>
> I am considering moving away from that distribution for the above reason
> and the dot releases seem to be taking a long time, which compounds that
> issue. I would like to stick with something RH based, as I am familiar
> with it.
>
> Does the Scientific Linux maintainers use the same approach as above, or
> have they solved that issue in some other way?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ian.

Hi Ian,
Interesting question that I've never seen before.  I believe it's been
answered, but I'll answer it anyway.

When RedHat releases a point release, such a RHEL 4.8 or 5.4, and then
release security errata after that, we try to get those security errata
out as soon a possible.
That being said it is ofter a week or two before the first security
errata's get pushed out by us, and it is quite common for those early
packages to have dependancies and/or complications we didn't expect.
But after a few weeks to a month, things tend to settle down and be less
trouble.

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group