SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:39:47 -0500
On 04/11/2013 01:33 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
<<>>

> (There is one caveat with running the installer from writable media -
> the SL6.3 installer sometimes writes the GRUB boot loader on the USB installer
> disk instead of the installation target disks - producing an unbootable
> system and ruining the USB installer disk at the same time. I have
> not seen the SL6.1 installer do this. Maybe one should use write-protect
> capable USB flash media).

a write-protected usb would be nice. it would have to be done in a way that
it would be done at creation time. a switch would be nice, but it would have
to be a very small switch for the pny 16g0 usb memory stick that i use. :-)

as for your writing grub to the usb memory stick, how is grub installer
being called?

i installed sl 6.3 live cd to a 8g0 partition [i use sda2 for writing files
i wish to install.] and had such happen several times. after which it started
writing to _sdb1_.

i am very curious as to what went on and why it now, so far, has started
writing grub to correct partition.

tc. hago.

.