SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:50:35 -0700
OK, I am one of those ancient fossils who hates html email, which is
the spawn of Satan and his evil minions.   It is distracting, a path
for viruses to attack fragile html viewers, incompatable with some
ssh tunnels, and included files like graphics break privacy when they
are uploaded.

In order to read html email with fewer risks, I use w3m, which is
included in SL5 and earlier distros.  w3m presents the html as
formatted ascii text.  It can be made to download graphics and
other inclusions, but I leave that nonsense turned off.

I had forgotten how to configure it when I upgraded my mail server
from Redhat-Prehistoric to SL5.  For those of you who have also
forgotten, you edit /etc/mailcap:

### text/html; /usr/bin/htmlview %s ; copiousoutput
text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html %s ; copiousoutput

Now html email shows up as text in your text email browser (I use
mutt, but this probably also works in elm and pine).

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993